An exciting new vacancy for a Manager has arisen at Discover Newmarket, a pivotal part of Newmarket’s tourism industry, offering exclusive behind the scenes tours.
Responsible for the daily running of the business and delivery of the business plan, the individual will need to be able to create and implement commercial and marketing strategies, develop new and grow existing stakeholder and commercial relationships.
Raising the profile of Newmarket as a visitor destination by collaborating with neighbour, regional and national destination management organisations will also be key to the role.
The ideal candidate will have previous leadership and commercial experience, preferably within the leisure or hospitality industry. Exceptional written and verbal communication, presentation and organisational skills are essential to this role. Experience or an understanding of the horseracing industry is advantageous.
The successful candidate will receive a competitive salary based on experience and be eligible for an incentive bonus based on performance.
Hours: Monday-Friday 9am – 5.30pm
Weekend working is required due to the nature of the business and tours season.
To apply please send your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close on Friday 2nd August at midnight.
JOB TITLE: Manager
REPORTS TO: Discover Newmarket Chairman and Steering Group
JOB PURPOSE: To deliver the Discover Newmarket business plan, growth of the visitor economy in Newmarket and deliver a return on investment for DN’s Stakeholders.
• To develop and deliver a robust business plan and budget that delivers business growth.
• Create and implement a measurable commercial strategy ensuring that it is in line with budget targets and conduct accurate reporting.
• Create and implement a measurable marketing strategy that will deliver brand awareness and under pin the commercial strategy and economic growth of Newmarket as a visitor destination.
• Devise innovative incentives to grow tour sales from the existing customer through repeat business.
• Through proactive sales initiatives identify and grow new commercial business from the group travel trade and corporate market sectors, bringing in new sales from these areas to achieve and exceed budget.
• Deliver key account management with travel trade, GTO’s, stakeholders, supporters and neighbouring DMO’s.
• To develop Newmarket’s brand as visitor destination within the domestic and international market. Work with appropriate partners locally, regionally, nationally and internationally to build reputable brand awareness of Newmarket as the historic ‘Home of Horseracing’ and the centre of a worldwide sport.
• To proactively promote and represent DN and its Stakeholders at Exhibition’s, Trade events, as well as establishing and encouraging relationships with Tour Operators
• Work collaboratively with all the stakeholders of Discover Newmarket to maximise its brand values by utilising the collective strengths of the individual partner brand values.
• Through pro-active promotion look to increase the number of stakeholders and supporters of Discover Newmarket.
• Responsible for producing high-level power point presentations and delivering specific research projects, to groups such as but not limited to the Stakeholders, the Steering Group, Town Council groups, District Council groups as well as other potential partners.
• Responsible for providing the necessary papers relating to activity and spend and presenting them to the Steering Group as required.
• Responsible for the management and leadership of the administration team, as well as the overall management of the bookings for Discover Newmarket
• To deliver new business development proposals for clients and to meet and show round where necessary the necessary attractions on offer in Newmarket.
• To co-ordinate the relevant familiarisation days across Discover Newmarket’s attractions to build brand awareness and maximise attraction exposure through community, local business, our stakeholders/supporters, TIC’s and neighbouring Destination Management Organisations.
• Responsible for the management and well-being, the training, and appraising of the Discover Newmarket team. Develop training programmes with the attractions that support the education and furtherment of all the Tour Guides.
• To ensure Health & Safety regulations and safe working practices are implemented to ensure compliance in accordance with current legislation and as detailed in the Company’s Health & Safety Policy and Procedures.
This role profile is a guide to the work you will be initially required to undertake. It may be reviewed from time to time to incorporate changing circumstances, and you may be required to be flexible and perform other duties as required by your manager. It does not form part of your contract of employment.
15/07/201910 things to do in Newmarket this Summer
Thinking of planning a visit to our wonderful town over the summer? We’ve put together a fantastic list of 10 things to do in Newmarket.
12/07/2019Newmarket Open Weekend to celebrate Henry Cecil
The Newmarket Open Weekend has been renamed the ‘Henry Cecil Open Weekend’ to celebrate the life of the iconic and much-loved trainer.
04/07/2019Five highlights from the Tattersalls July Sale
The Tattersalls July Sale has offered up some brilliant highlights in recent renewals.
03/07/2019Saddle Up for an exciting art trail this summer
A herd of decorative horses, designed by artists and sculptors, will arrive in Newmarket this summer to help raise awareness of local charity, the Animal Health Trust (AHT).
28/06/2019Get ready to race at the Soapbox Derby!
This summer, there’s an exciting addition when it comes to things to do in East Anglia with the Soapbox Derby taking place during the August Bank Holiday weekend!
13/06/2019Newmarket ready to celebrate Suffolk Day
There’s even more reason to get involved with Suffolk Day this year with the county gearing up to for the ‘Big Weekender’ that will celebrate everything that the county has to offer.
07/06/2019Five great Newmarket spots to enjoy a gin
It’s World Gin Day on the 8th June and to mark the occasion we thought we’d share five great Newmarket spots to enjoy a gin in our latest blog post.
30/05/2019Newmarket and the Derby
Every year, the first weekend in June is a significant one given that the eyes of the horseracing world are all on the famed Epsom Downs and the outcome of the Derby, arguably the most highly sought after prize in racing.