Click here to sign up

Palace House by Name, Palace House by Nature

Palace House in Newmarket is now the home of the Fred Packard Galleries and houses a collection of some of the greatest sporting art in the world. However, the building itself was not always an art gallery, as its name might suggest.

The origins of the building date back to 1666, when King Charles II returned to Newmarket for the first time since he was a boy.

He brought with him a keen love of horse racing and set up the new Round Course, which is still used today as the Adnams July Course. In 1668, two years after his return, King Charles bought land to the east of the initial Palace to consolidate the Crown land.

It was here that the second Palace of Newmarket was built, part of which still stands to this day as Palace House.

To find out more about this amazing building and visit for yourself, click here.

Latest News