There are so many reasons to visit Newmarket. It is a fascinating place, steeped in history and is unique in the world.
This week is English Tourism Week, we wanted to shout about how unique Newmarket is, so here are 10 facts you might not know about our amazing town:
1. It is the only location in the world to offer two separate turf racecourses, each with their own facilities: The July Course and The Rowley Mile.
2. It is home to the oldest bloodstock auctioneers in the world and the largest in Europe: Tattersalls.
3. The Town Plate in Newmarket is one of the oldest organised races in existence, dating from 1666, and still uses the same course to this day.
4. 75% of prize money won by horses bred in the UK is claimed by the offspring of Newmarket-based stallions.
5. Newmarket Racecourses holds 39 annual fixtures including nine of the 32 British Group 1 races.
6. It was the first racecourse in Britain to introduce starting stalls in 1965.
7. The Rowley Mile racecourse was once used as an RAF station.
8. It has been home to three royal palaces.
9. It is home to the world’s best thoroughbred racehorse, Frankel, who stands at stud at Juddmonte Farms’ Banstead Manor Stud.
10. Over a tonne of smoked salmon was consumed at the 2015 July Festival!
If you’d like to visit Newmarket, the best way to do it is on one of our expert guided tours. Give us a call to find out more on 0344 748 9200 or click here to browse our website.
20/05/2019Bananarama meet new arrivals at The National Stud
The stars of Bananarama met prestigious new arrivals Lord Windermere and Jack The Giant at The National Stud ahead of their Newmarket Nights performance this summer.
13/05/2019Three great walking spots in Newmarket
When the seasons change and spring announces its arrival then suddenly the urge to go outdoors is greater than ever. With the sun going down later there’s even more time to go on a walk and explore the incredible spaces that Newmarket has to offer
08/05/2019A royal occasion at The National Stud
The National Stud played host to a very special guest on Thursday, 2nd May as the Duchess of Cornwall visited one of Newmarket’s finest attractions.
30/04/2019Planning the perfect race day this Guineas Weekend
It’s a big weekend with the QIPCO Guineas Festival at Newmarket ’s Rowley Mile Racecourse marking the start of the Classics for this season.
26/04/2019Buy 2 for 1 tickets for a visit to Palace House
Palace House, the National Heritage Centre for Horseracing & Sporting Art is gearing up for one of the busiest weekends in Newmarket’s calendar by announcing an exciting offer, on Saturday 4th, Sunday 5th and Monday 6th May all day tickets to Palace House will be ‘Buy One Get One Free.’
25/04/2019Don’t miss your chance to go on our Shadwell Tour
Such is the popularity of Discover Newmarket’s tours to Shadwell Stud that one of the two dates has already sold out.
15/04/2019Meet Big Orange, a Newmarket legend
Visitors to Newmarket have an opportunity to meet an equine legend in the flesh with the news that Big Orange will be stabled at Palace House for the next three months.
09/04/2019Dining out in Newmarket this Easter
There are loads of great places to go and enjoy Easter this year with Newmarket’s favourite eating spots all putting on something which gives you and the family a great reason to get out and spend time together on Easter Sunday afternoon.