There are so many reasons to visit Newmarket. It is a fascinating place, steeped in history and is unique in the world.
This week is English Tourism Week, we wanted to shout about how unique Newmarket is, so here are 10 facts you might not know about our amazing town:
1. It is the only location in the world to offer two separate turf racecourses, each with their own facilities: The July Course and The Rowley Mile.
2. It is home to the oldest bloodstock auctioneers in the world and the largest in Europe: Tattersalls.
3. The Town Plate in Newmarket is one of the oldest organised races in existence, dating from 1666, and still uses the same course to this day.
4. 75% of prize money won by horses bred in the UK is claimed by the offspring of Newmarket-based stallions.
5. Newmarket Racecourses holds 39 annual fixtures including nine of the 32 British Group 1 races.
6. It was the first racecourse in Britain to introduce starting stalls in 1965.
7. The Rowley Mile racecourse was once used as an RAF station.
8. It has been home to three royal palaces.
9. It is home to the world’s best thoroughbred racehorse, Frankel, who stands at stud at Juddmonte Farms’ Banstead Manor Stud.
10. Over a tonne of smoked salmon was consumed at the 2015 July Festival!
If you’d like to visit Newmarket, the best way to do it is on one of our expert guided tours. Give us a call to find out more on 0344 748 9200 or click here to browse our website.
15/07/201910 things to do in Newmarket this Summer
Thinking of planning a visit to our wonderful town over the summer? We’ve put together a fantastic list of 10 things to do in Newmarket.
12/07/2019Newmarket Open Weekend to celebrate Henry Cecil
The Newmarket Open Weekend has been renamed the ‘Henry Cecil Open Weekend’ to celebrate the life of the iconic and much-loved trainer.
04/07/2019Five highlights from the Tattersalls July Sale
The Tattersalls July Sale has offered up some brilliant highlights in recent renewals.
03/07/2019Saddle Up for an exciting art trail this summer
A herd of decorative horses, designed by artists and sculptors, will arrive in Newmarket this summer to help raise awareness of local charity, the Animal Health Trust (AHT).
28/06/2019Get ready to race at the Soapbox Derby!
This summer, there’s an exciting addition when it comes to things to do in East Anglia with the Soapbox Derby taking place during the August Bank Holiday weekend!
13/06/2019Newmarket ready to celebrate Suffolk Day
There’s even more reason to get involved with Suffolk Day this year with the county gearing up to for the ‘Big Weekender’ that will celebrate everything that the county has to offer.
07/06/2019Five great Newmarket spots to enjoy a gin
It’s World Gin Day on the 8th June and to mark the occasion we thought we’d share five great Newmarket spots to enjoy a gin in our latest blog post.
30/05/2019Newmarket and the Derby
Every year, the first weekend in June is a significant one given that the eyes of the horseracing world are all on the famed Epsom Downs and the outcome of the Derby, arguably the most highly sought after prize in racing.