There are so many reasons to visit Newmarket. It is a fascinating place, steeped in history and is unique in the world.
This week is English Tourism Week, we wanted to shout about how unique Newmarket is, so here are 10 facts you might not know about our amazing town:
1. It is the only location in the world to offer two separate turf racecourses, each with their own facilities: The July Course and The Rowley Mile.
2. It is home to the oldest bloodstock auctioneers in the world and the largest in Europe: Tattersalls.
3. The Town Plate in Newmarket is one of the oldest organised races in existence, dating from 1666, and still uses the same course to this day.
4. 75% of prize money won by horses bred in the UK is claimed by the offspring of Newmarket-based stallions.
5. Newmarket Racecourses holds 39 annual fixtures including nine of the 32 British Group 1 races.
6. It was the first racecourse in Britain to introduce starting stalls in 1965.
7. The Rowley Mile racecourse was once used as an RAF station.
8. It has been home to three royal palaces.
9. It is home to the world’s best thoroughbred racehorse, Frankel, who stands at stud at Juddmonte Farms’ Banstead Manor Stud.
10. Over a tonne of smoked salmon was consumed at the 2015 July Festival!
If you’d like to visit Newmarket, the best way to do it is on one of our expert guided tours. Give us a call to find out more on 0344 748 9200 or click here to browse our website.
29/10/2019Palace House unveils latest exhibition
George IV is one of British history’s most fascinating – and misunderstood – figures. Now, a new exhibition at Palace House in Newmarket will explore George’s legacy as not only a great patron and collector of art, but also as prominent and, at times controversial, patron of horse racing.
For one night only – the Making Magical Memories Christmas event is back for 2019!
28/10/2019Purple Tuesday in Newmarket
Newmarket Town Council, the Guineas Shopping Centre and Love Newmarket BID are working together to promote Purple Tuesday in Newmarket.
08/10/2019Junior Guide takes the reins at The National Stud
An Essex schoolgirl has hosted part of a tour at The National Stud after winning the chance to be a Junior Tour Guide in a Discover Newmarket competition.
03/10/2019Halloween happenings in and around Newmarket
It’s the time of the year where the trees are changing colour and there’s a chill in the air.
16/09/2019What to expect at The Henry Cecil Open Weekend
The Henry Cecil Open Weekend will take place on Saturday 21st and Sunday 22nd September, giving visitors the rare chance to see behind the scenes at British horseracing’s HQ.
09/09/2019Celebrate Newmarket during the Gold Season
Newmarket Racecourses is proud to announce the launch of The Newmarket Gold Season, an exciting initiative aimed at boosting the profile of the town’s racing, breeding and sales activities during the busy autumn season.
06/09/2019Meet the Tour Guides: Sandie Edmeades
Here at Discover Newmarket we pride ourselves on having the best tour guides on offer for your day out.