There are so many reasons to visit Newmarket. It is a fascinating place, steeped in history and is unique in the world.
This week is English Tourism Week, we wanted to shout about how unique Newmarket is, so here are 10 facts you might not know about our amazing town:
1. It is the only location in the world to offer two separate turf racecourses, each with their own facilities: The July Course and The Rowley Mile.
2. It is home to the oldest bloodstock auctioneers in the world and the largest in Europe: Tattersalls.
3. The Town Plate in Newmarket is one of the oldest organised races in existence, dating from 1666, and still uses the same course to this day.
4. 75% of prize money won by horses bred in the UK is claimed by the offspring of Newmarket-based stallions.
5. Newmarket Racecourses holds 39 annual fixtures including nine of the 32 British Group 1 races.
6. It was the first racecourse in Britain to introduce starting stalls in 1965.
7. The Rowley Mile racecourse was once used as an RAF station.
8. It has been home to three royal palaces.
9. It is home to the world’s best thoroughbred racehorse, Frankel, who stands at stud at Juddmonte Farms’ Banstead Manor Stud.
10. Over a tonne of smoked salmon was consumed at the 2015 July Festival!
If you’d like to visit Newmarket, the best way to do it is on one of our expert guided tours. Give us a call to find out more on 0344 748 9200 or click here to browse our website.
14/08/2018Three great places to indulge in Afternoon Tea
Here in Newmarket we are spoilt for choice when it comes to finding the best places to take part in Afternoon Tea, one of the greatest of English traditions.
08/08/2018Meet Nick, the newest member of the Discover Newmarket team
We’ve got a new face in the Discover Newmarket office with Nick Gordon having joined the team in his role as Marketing Executive.
30/07/2018The Best Places for an Overnight Stay in Newmarket
Whilst our beautiful market town is certainly the home of horseracing, it is also the home to many wonderful locations for an overnight stay in Newmarket.
25/07/2018Best Country Walks around Newmarket
Newmarket may be best known for its horseracing heritage. But did you about the range of country walks around Newmarket?
16/07/2018Hugo Palmer Trainer and Yard
On the 11th August, our half day Short Head Tour returns with a behind-the-scenes look round the yard of top racehorse trainer, Hugo Palmer.
20/06/2018Family Fun in Newmarket with Summer Saturdays 2018
Family Fun in Newmarket heats up with Summer Saturdays 2018 at Newmarket Racecourses.
How is Newmarket getting involved in this years Suffolk Day celebrations?
08/06/2018The Stars Set to Shine at Newmarket this Summer
Live Music in Newmarket at Newmarket Racecourses’ Adnams July Course never cease to astound and amaze the thousands of people that attend each year.