There are so many reasons to visit Newmarket. It is a fascinating place, steeped in history and is unique in the world.
This week is English Tourism Week, we wanted to shout about how unique Newmarket is, so here are 10 facts you might not know about our amazing town:
1. It is the only location in the world to offer two separate turf racecourses, each with their own facilities: The July Course and The Rowley Mile.
2. It is home to the oldest bloodstock auctioneers in the world and the largest in Europe: Tattersalls.
3. The Town Plate in Newmarket is one of the oldest organised races in existence, dating from 1666, and still uses the same course to this day.
4. 75% of prize money won by horses bred in the UK is claimed by the offspring of Newmarket-based stallions.
5. Newmarket Racecourses holds 39 annual fixtures including nine of the 32 British Group 1 races.
6. It was the first racecourse in Britain to introduce starting stalls in 1965.
7. The Rowley Mile racecourse was once used as an RAF station.
8. It has been home to three royal palaces.
9. It is home to the world’s best thoroughbred racehorse, Frankel, who stands at stud at Juddmonte Farms’ Banstead Manor Stud.
10. Over a tonne of smoked salmon was consumed at the 2015 July Festival!
If you’d like to visit Newmarket, the best way to do it is on one of our expert guided tours. Give us a call to find out more on 0344 748 9200 or click here to browse our website.
07/07/2020We’re Going on a Monster Hunt!
Newmarket’s town centre is gearing up for a new family fun interactive trail this summer to help support the NHS as well as give families a safe reason to return to the High Street.
25/06/2020Be Prepared and Know Before You Go
Summer is well underway and with the news that our tourism and hospitality businesses can re-open, many of us are looking forward to taking our first steps back to embrace the “new normal”.
10/06/2020New ideas for Father’s Day
Like so many celebrations this year, Father’s Day might have to be celebrated slightly differently but hey, we are getting used to that.
04/06/2020Welcoming you back to Visit Suffolk
The recent relaxing of the lockdown rules has enabled wider enjoyment of outdoor spaces and we soon hope that the re-opening of our accommodation providers, restaurants and attractions will follow.
11/05/2020Did you enjoy a cream tea on VE Day?
Whilst the nation did not celebrate VE Day in quite the way everyone thought they would, with good old British spirit, there was indeed great merriment as people celebrated with their neighbours from the safety of our own gardens.
27/04/2020In preparation of the Great Escape …..
Many of us will be keen to be out in the fresh air and do something active when lock down is lifted.
Whilst it may be a while before we can visit our much loved eateries , we thought it was worth reminding everyone what fabulous restaurants and cafes we have in town as well as close by.
04/03/2020Plan the perfect Mother’s Day spoils
Need some ideas for planning the perfect spoils this Mother’s Day?