There are so many reasons to visit Newmarket. It is a fascinating place, steeped in history and is unique in the world.
This week is English Tourism Week, we wanted to shout about how unique Newmarket is, so here are 10 facts you might not know about our amazing town:
1. It is the only location in the world to offer two separate turf racecourses, each with their own facilities: The July Course and The Rowley Mile.
2. It is home to the oldest bloodstock auctioneers in the world and the largest in Europe: Tattersalls.
3. The Town Plate in Newmarket is one of the oldest organised races in existence, dating from 1666, and still uses the same course to this day.
4. 75% of prize money won by horses bred in the UK is claimed by the offspring of Newmarket-based stallions.
5. Newmarket Racecourses holds 39 annual fixtures including nine of the 32 British Group 1 races.
6. It was the first racecourse in Britain to introduce starting stalls in 1965.
7. The Rowley Mile racecourse was once used as an RAF station.
8. It has been home to three royal palaces.
9. It is home to the world’s best thoroughbred racehorse, Frankel, who stands at stud at Juddmonte Farms’ Banstead Manor Stud.
10. Over a tonne of smoked salmon was consumed at the 2015 July Festival!
If you’d like to visit Newmarket, the best way to do it is on one of our expert guided tours. Give us a call to find out more on 0344 748 9200 or click here to browse our website.
11/12/2018Christmas gift ideas for her
It’s that time of the year when you’re scrambling to find the right Christmas present for some of the lucky ladies in your life.
When it comes to finding the right gifts for Christmas it can be an absolute nightmare.
04/12/2018Best Christmas gifts for racing fans
We’re heading towards Christmas at a rate of knots. It means that time is starting to run out to find the perfect Christmas gift for the racing fans in your life.
03/12/2018Discover Newmarket partners with Highclere Thoroughbred Racing
Tourism hub and official tour guide for the Home of Horseracing, Discover Newmarket has today announced a new partnership with Europe’s leading racehorse ownership company, Highclere Thoroughbred Racing.
19/11/2018Three cheers for Newmarket!
This year’s flat season resulted in some tremendous success for Newmarket’s resident horses, jockeys and trainers.
15/11/2018What to do in Newmarket this Christmas
We’ve put together a list of events and happenings over the next few weeks for those who may have thought ‘what is there to do around me this Festive Season?’
The list of winners to have been trained out of the Bedford House Stables yard of Luca Cumani has been a long, and impressive, one.
08/11/2018Newmarket during wartime
Not many people realise the role that Newmarket played during either the First World War (1914 -1918) or the Second World War (1939 – 1945).