There are so many reasons to discover Newmarket. It is a fascinating place, steeped in history and is unique in the world. Here are ten Newmarket facts you might not know about our amazing town:
1. It is the only location in the world to offer two separate turf racecourses, each with their own facilities: The July Course and The Rowley Mile.
2. It is home to the oldest bloodstock auctioneers in the world and the largest in Europe:Tattersalls.
3. The Town Plate in Newmarket is the oldest organised race in existence, dating from 1666, and still uses the same course to this day.
4. 75% of prize money won by horses bred in the UK is claimed by the offspring of Newmarket-based stallions.
5. Newmarket Racecourses holds 39 annual fixtures including 9 of the 32 British Group 1 races.
6. It was the first racecourse in Britain to introduce starting stalls in 1965.
7. The Rowley Mile racecourse was once used as an RAF station
8. It has been home to three royal palaces.
9. It is home to the world’s best thoroughbred racehorse, Frankel, who stands at stud at Banstead Manor Stud.
10. Over a tonne of smoked salmon was consumed at the 2015 July Festival!
Enjoyed our Newmarket facts? To Discover Unique Newmarket for yourself, click here or call: 0344 748 9200
16/01/2019Where to stay for a romantic Newmarket experience
If you are planning a romantic getaway then these gems will add to your Newmarket experience as far as your accommodation options are concerned.
09/01/2019The fitness fanatic’s guide to Newmarket
If you’re a keen fitness fanatic and heading to Newmarket for a visit don’t worry about your training taking a knock. There’s loads for you to do to stay active.
19/12/2018We have a winning photo!
After a host of entries and a number of absolutely brilliant photos, the winner of the Discover Newmarket Photo Competition has been chosen!
11/12/2018Christmas gift ideas for her
It’s that time of the year when you’re scrambling to find the right Christmas present for some of the lucky ladies in your life.
When it comes to finding the right gifts for Christmas it can be an absolute nightmare.
04/12/2018Best Christmas gifts for racing fans
We’re heading towards Christmas at a rate of knots. It means that time is starting to run out to find the perfect Christmas gift for the racing fans in your life.
03/12/2018Discover Newmarket partners with Highclere Thoroughbred Racing
Tourism hub and official tour guide for the Home of Horseracing, Discover Newmarket has today announced a new partnership with Europe’s leading racehorse ownership company, Highclere Thoroughbred Racing.
19/11/2018Three cheers for Newmarket!
This year’s flat season resulted in some tremendous success for Newmarket’s resident horses, jockeys and trainers.