There are so many reasons to discover Newmarket. It is a fascinating place, steeped in history and is unique in the world. Here are ten Newmarket facts you might not know about our amazing town:
1. It is the only location in the world to offer two separate turf racecourses, each with their own facilities: The July Course and The Rowley Mile.
2. It is home to the oldest bloodstock auctioneers in the world and the largest in Europe:Tattersalls.
3. The Town Plate in Newmarket is the oldest organised race in existence, dating from 1666, and still uses the same course to this day.
4. 75% of prize money won by horses bred in the UK is claimed by the offspring of Newmarket-based stallions.
5. Newmarket Racecourses holds 39 annual fixtures including 9 of the 32 British Group 1 races.
6. It was the first racecourse in Britain to introduce starting stalls in 1965.
7. The Rowley Mile racecourse was once used as an RAF station
8. It has been home to three royal palaces.
9. It is home to the world’s best thoroughbred racehorse, Frankel, who stands at stud at Banstead Manor Stud.
10. Over a tonne of smoked salmon was consumed at the 2015 July Festival!
Enjoyed our Newmarket facts? To Discover Unique Newmarket for yourself, click here or call: 0344 748 9200
14/08/2018Three great places to indulge in Afternoon Tea
Here in Newmarket we are spoilt for choice when it comes to finding the best places to take part in Afternoon Tea, one of the greatest of English traditions.
08/08/2018Meet Nick, the newest member of the Discover Newmarket team
We’ve got a new face in the Discover Newmarket office with Nick Gordon having joined the team in his role as Marketing Executive.
30/07/2018The Best Places for an Overnight Stay in Newmarket
Whilst our beautiful market town is certainly the home of horseracing, it is also the home to many wonderful locations for an overnight stay in Newmarket.
25/07/2018Best Country Walks around Newmarket
Newmarket may be best known for its horseracing heritage. But did you about the range of country walks around Newmarket?
16/07/2018Hugo Palmer Trainer and Yard
On the 11th August, our half day Short Head Tour returns with a behind-the-scenes look round the yard of top racehorse trainer, Hugo Palmer.
20/06/2018Family Fun in Newmarket with Summer Saturdays 2018
Family Fun in Newmarket heats up with Summer Saturdays 2018 at Newmarket Racecourses.
How is Newmarket getting involved in this years Suffolk Day celebrations?
08/06/2018The Stars Set to Shine at Newmarket this Summer
Live Music in Newmarket at Newmarket Racecourses’ Adnams July Course never cease to astound and amaze the thousands of people that attend each year.