The Henry Cecil Open Weekend will take place on Saturday 21st and Sunday 22nd September, giving visitors the rare chance to see behind the scenes at British horseracing’s HQ.
• 21 trainers are set to open their doors to the public from 9am – 12:30pm on Sunday, including Amy Murphy, Hugo Palmer, Richard Spencer, David Simcock, George Scott, James Fanshawe, George Boughey, David Lanigan, Charlie Fellowes, and new this year, Sir Mark Prescott.
• Godolphin Lifetime Care will also take part in this year’s Open Weekend and open the doors to Craven House where there will be various ex-racehorses on show including Dubai World Cup winners African Story and Prince Bishop, Ascot Gold Cup winners Colour Vision and Papineau.
• Access and tours to Newmarket’s integral equine sites – Newmarket Equine Hospital, British Racing School, Peter O’Sullevan House, Longholes, Tattersalls Bloodstock Auctioneers, National Stud, Jockey Club Rooms, and Palace House – the National Horseracing Museum.
• A new exciting addition to the weekend is the Injured Jockeys Fund’s third rehabilitation and fitness centre; Peter O’Sullevan House. Located adjacent to the British Racing School, the centre will be open from 9am to 1pm on Saturday 21st September. Equipped with state-of-the-art rehabilitation and fitness facilities, the centre will host two demonstrations at 9:30am and 11am.
• An action-packed Sunday starts on Warren Hill Gallops (sponsored by Tattersalls) where fans can watch superstars, including Enable and Stradivarius, be put through their paces between 8am – 9am. There will also be the inaugural Blandford Bloodstock Trainers Hacks Race; a 5f dash up the grass at 8:45am. No jockey excuses this time!
• Sunday afternoon entertainments will take place in the main arena on the Severals and will feature the Waitrose Stable Staff Tug of War Games, Martin Collins Pony Club Games, Clipper Logistics Racing Personality Show Jumping, Fun Dog Show and Terrier Racing.
• The hotly anticipated inaugural Pony Club Games, kindly sponsored by Martin Collins, kicks off proceedings in our main arena on the Severals. An inter-yard competition like no other, as trainers, jockeys, stable staff, and kids, all get involved in classic gymkhana team games.
o Teams: Team Appleby (Sponsored by Godolphin), Team Fellowes (Sponsored by UK Meds), Team Palmer (Sponsored by Matchbook), Team Simcock (Sponsored by Al Basti Equiworld)
• Celebrity competitors in the Clipper Logistics Show Jumping include top jockeys Andrea Atzeni, Josephine Gordon, Harry Bentley, last year’s winner Ryan Moore, and 2019 Champion elect Oisin Murphy. Other notable competitors include ITV Racing presenter Francesca Cumani, plus trainers George Scott and Amy Murphy.
• This year’s open weekend has been renamed to celebrate the life of the late, great Sir Henry Cecil. The three-year partnership, backed by a group of his previous owners, is committed to supporting the development and welfare of young people working in the racing industry. Beneficiaries are Racing Welfare, Racing Centre, British Racing School.
• Prices start at £17 per person for a Sunday wristband and can be purchased during the weekend at all equine sites, car parks, and yards. Children aged 12 years of age and under go FREE all weekend.
• Please visit www.thehenrycecilopenweekend.co.uk for our full ticket pricings, a schedule of events, and more information.
Charlie Fellowes, Chairman of The Henry Cecil Open Weekend, said;
“The Open Weekend is a fantastic opportunity for the public to go behind the scenes and meet the trainers, staff, and horses that have made this a summer to remember of racing!
“We have an action packed weekend planned for our visitors to enjoy. The queen of racing Enable will canter on Warren Hill, alongside a host of other big names on Sunday morning. After events finish on the Heath, myself and 20 other Newmarket trainers will open our gates to the public between 9am-12:30pm, a highlight of the weekend.
“Please help us raise funds for our amazing charities and we look forward to welcoming you to Newmarket this weekend.”
04/03/2020Plan the perfect Mother’s Day spoils
Need some ideas for planning the perfect spoils this Mother’s Day?
03/03/2020Double delight for Newmarket at Tourism Awards
There were two reasons for Newmarket to cheer at the Norfolk and Suffolk Tourism Awards last week as both Bedford Lodge Hotel and Spa and Palace House claimed top honours in their respective categories.
24/02/2020Five places to enjoy Pancake Day
Pancake Day, also known as Shrove Tuesday, takes place on the 25th February this year.
18/02/2020Seven ideas for half-term fun in Newmarket
It would appear that the year is absolutely flying by and it seems crazy to think that we have already reached the first half term holiday break for 2020!
14/02/2020Discover Newmarket celebrates the start of the 2020 Tour Season
There is nowhere quite like the Home of Horseracing and this year visitors are encouraged to plan a visit to Newmarket in 2020 to experience what makes this town so unique.
10/02/2020Six ideas for your next date
We all know that February is the month of love so what better way to keep the trend going than with a list of six ideas for your next date.
31/01/2020Book a romantic Newmarket stay this Valentine’s Day
If you’re one of those people who leaves thoughts of Valentine’s Day to the last minute then don’t panic.
21/01/202020 Things to do in Newmarket in 2020
We’ve put together a list of 20 things to during a visit to Newmarket in 2020.